Friday, January 16, 2009

Picking out names...

I've always had a hard time finding the right names. For all of my Children, except my last, it took almost the entire pregnancy to decide on names. The twins, wow... that was hard because I had to pick Two names, and then what if they were triplets? Or one of them was really a girl? Oh my, it drove me batty!

With my daughter though, I started out just the same. Making lists, writing names out in all different configurations.. first name + middle name. middle name then first name. Then all that hard work was blown out of the water one Afternoon in Target. As I stood looking at an adorable pair of butterfly slippers, I said, out loud even... "These would be perfect for Katelyn!" Katelyn wasn't even on the list of names. At all. Hadn't even thought of it before that day. But the moment it was out of my mouth, I knew it was her name. And it is, just ask her. She'll tell you exactly who she is!

"I'm Katelyn Rose!"

"I'm not a turkey! I'm Katelyn Rose!".

So, here I sit today, having to pick out new names. Two new names, actually.

No, I'm not pregnant. Please don't ever even think that word and me in the same thought... cause well, we all know its contagious and even the tubal I've had can't stop God's crazy since of humor! I mean, come on.. he blessed me with three children in less than two years!! He can be a bit crazy.

So why do I need to pick out two new names, then? Today, we adopted two 6 month old kittens. And it was my idea. Yes I am crazy, too... maybe that's why God keeps blessing me with crazy things? I should look into that.



I've been looking to bring in a new cat for some time now. One that will play with the kids. If you remember my first post, in which I mentioned that my Cat is the smartest living creature in my home? She is. She hides from the kids. She hears them, she disappears. She will not, under any circumstances, play with them. She is SO above that! ;) I mean, they are kids! Their hands are dirty. The make a lot of noise! She's really picky.

I really wanted my kids to have the fun experiences of having a cat. You know, the crazy moments where the cat bounces on them from around the corner where it sat and just waited for the first kid to walk by. Or the absolutely priceless cuddle moments. The cat searching them out just to sit on their lap. That stuff wasn't happening with Gracie. And I desperately wanted it too. The only thing my kids were learning was that Gracie can run fast, and that she will even scratch you if you aren't looking at her! So I went on the search for a cat that would be comfortable with my dirty, noisy kids.

Yesterday I spotted an ad on the local Craigslists, that claimed these two kittens were kid friendly. That they allowed her 2 year old to carry them around in a baby carriage. It was like reading destiny! That's what I want! I want a cat that will let my kids cart it around in their pirate boat or that crazy train they are so found of that I wish would disappear. We don't have any baby carriages, but I'm sure that won't stop my kids when it comes time to try to cart these cats around in something!


When I brought up the idea to my husband, he wasn't as excited as me. TWO CATS??!!?? Yes, two. The ad stated that she would like to place them together, and I really saw no reason to ask for just one of them. I wouldn't have been able to chose anyway. Plus, I just really like cats so whats one more? Two or Three, its not that much different except that there is one more cat to sit on one more lap. 4 kids, 3 cats.. better numbers if you ask me.


I didn't tell the kids that we were going to pick up the kittens today. They had no idea what we were doing, except going to someone's house. When we walked in the door, Katelyn saw one of the cats and ran towards it yelling "That's my cat!" She looks so much like our Gracie, that Katelyn thought at first it was Gracie. Except that the kittens are so much smaller. We talked with the Lady giving them to us for a few minutes before I explained to the 3 little ones (Dylan already knew what we were doing) that we were taking both cats home. Their smiles spread slowly as the info was processed and they realized I wasn't joking. And then each one of them, at the exact same time, asked if they could hold one of them for the ride home! LOL


So this afternoon has been one of the most eventful days of the year. We've grown as a family. Our count is now 2 parents, 4 kids, 3 dogs and 3 cats! My kids have had amazing experiences playing with these VERY kid friendly kittens already. And I'm feeling very very good about the big decision of adding more responsibility to my plate. How can I not be, when I walk into the room and see one of the kittens cuddled up on Baby Girl's lap, and a smile that could melt any one's heart on her face? It is absolutely one of the best feelings ever.


Except for the naming part. That's not going so well. And I don't have 9 months to come up with a hundred different lists. I'm thinking that these poor cats need names by tomorrow, or my kids will come up with some crazy sound to call them and the damage will be done forever!

5 comments:

Magdalena (m2m) said...

Congratulations on kittens!!! I love cats :) Goodluck!!!
Lovely story about Katelyn's name :)

Sandra said...

CUUUUTE kittens! And what a great blogpost, veru enjoyable to read!:)

Anonymous said...

Your kittens adre adorable!
And about the names...loved reading it!

Lori said...

well u gotta scrap the name story for sure and I think u should name the cat at least one muluk or mo and arman.

Lori said...

so i want to know the neames u settled on!